Friday, March 13, 2009

Testing

Today I got my hearing tested.The girl who was testing me kept making puzzled faces and going "Hmmm....that's interesting."
I was a little concerned.
Apparently my bone conduction is worse than my air conduction, which is actually impossible.
We're hoping it's the machine that's messed up and not me.
The bone conduction thing went on my forehead. See that red mark? Yeah, it was tight fit.
Ouch.
Also I might have mild hearing loss in the lower ranges.
No worries though.
I know sign language.

*Stepping on Soapbox*
I sort of have a thing against the Audiology and Speech Therapy programs. (My program is nowhere near related to it, so don't ask me...) It's good for hearing people, yes. It's very very bad for deaf people.
I mean, the whole point of audiologists is to figure out how much hearing loss you have, correct? If they know you CANNOT hear, why do they then send you to speech therapy so that you can understand and use spoken languages?
It boggles my mind.
And it's a serious problem.
If deaf people aren't allowed access to sign language - the only kind of language they CAN use - their cognitive development slows down, which is HUGE. I mean, it's like trying to grow up using your second language without even having a first language.
And despite their claims, ASL DOES NOT affect English. It's because they're DEAF that they have struggles with a spoken language. duh. If anything, ASL helps a deaf person understand English reading and writing. That's because they can learn it through their own language.
Go ASL!
*Stepping off Soapbox*

4 comments:

  1. hmm. I should get my hearing tested. I can't hear anything these days...I'm sure I've asked "what?" so many times. after a while my roommates are just like "forget it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister friend!

    Do you want to start an anti-Alexander Graham Bell group with me? It could be fun! (I sincerely hope you know what I'm talking about, other wise you'll be thinking I just hate telephones or something)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!? You didn't get the memo? Us Speech-Language Pathologists get paid the big bucks to cure things like autism, deafness, apraxia, the whole lot!!! Oh wait - I don't get paid that much... and darn it - we can't cure anything! Well, maybe we can officially claim children who we teach to say their /r/. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha you're awesome Janette. Nice.

    And you'll really bring me ice cream? You are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete