Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hell, Frozen Over.

*If the word choice seems a little weird it's because I wrote it Monday and then waited until today to post it. I wanted to include the video at the end and I didn't have it then.*

First let me give you a little background.
These are the kinds of things my boyfriend Seth likes doing: camping, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and generally outdoorsy things.
These are the kinds of things I like doing: watching t.v. , watching movies, eating, playing on my computer and generally indoorsy things. Especially during the winter.

It was only a matter of time before these two preferences would collide.

So last week he asked me to go on a hike with him and another couple of friends of ours today, since it's a holiday from school, and I agreed.
My first mistake.

This morning when I woke up I realized what a fool I was and I waited for him to come fetch me for our little hike so that I could tell him I was not going.
My second mistake.

Because he was not going to come fetch me. He was still asleep. Even though it was noon. and we had planned to eat lunch on our hike.
This is the point where I started to get really annoyed.

So I wander on over there and wake him up. He then spends the next hour frantically planning our hike and trying to persuade me to come, and I caved.
My third mistake.

So off we go on our hike. Now, of the four of us that went, I am the only one who does not like hiking and/or adventure. If someone was going to suffer on this hike, it would be me. and suffer I did....

We were unable to do the hike they had planned because there was so much snow that they had blocked off the road. Except we did not know this. This is because the boys didn't want to let on that our plans had been ruined since we had already given them so much grief about being unplanned in the first place. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to instead wander off down one of the other paths in hopes that it would be a nice hike...
This path was somewhat beaten down because I think some snowshoers had gone before us. However, I'm pretty sure we were the first to actually hike it in tennis shoes (since everyone else is smart enough to know that you don't go hiking in 2 feet deep snow) My feet were soaked.
And since they didn't know this trail, we didn't know where we were going so we kind of wandered along it for about an hour until we found a little ridge with another trail going through. It was there that we decided to stop and make hot chocolate. They also brought along hot dogs! which we did not cook and eat. because I don't like them. and we (meaning me) wanted to get back.

So, all in all, we were trudging around in the snow for almost 2 hours. and I don't think I cracked a genuine smile once.
It's been a very long afternoon.

Videographic proof:

3 comments:

  1. I recall going on an unplanned hike with some guys when I was in college . . . maybe it's some secret rite of passage all girls have to go through . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Rob keeps talking about going on overnight hiking trips. I told him only if we have a winnebago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Janette, I feel your pain. The worst is when you are with new people and you can't unleash the full extent of your complaining! I'm glad you made it through.

    ReplyDelete