Tuesday, October 14, 2008

So, Smith.

So today at 7 am Michelle and I went to meet Poppa and David for a little breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. It was a delightful morning, and this was mostly due to Michelle's vast amounts of knowledge and her burning desire to share it with us.

Today's topic of conversation was where surnames come from. Apparently you can "run out" of first names, since this is what happened in the medieval days in England. Those tiny little towns simply couldn't make up any more first names! I guess English people only had a few to choose from back then, which led to multiple people with the same name and much confusion in the villages. And thus surnames became a necessity.

"So, like the last name of Smith comes from blacksmith. Only people back then couldn't spell very well. So, Smith. "

You're feeling smarter already, aren't you! and yes. That is an exact quote from Michelle.

So there you have it. Where surnames came from and why. You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Janette! I found your blog through Kirsten's! How are you? How is life??? I'm adding you to my blog list so we can stay in touch. Feel free to check it out!
    -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janette. How I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will you tell joseph and gabe/emily I want to view thier blogs? I don't like the idea of inviting myself.

    ReplyDelete